In partnership with Capsula (art-science-nature)
Accelerate Finland is a call open to Finnish artists interested in carrying out artistic research inspired by the world of particle physics, in dialogue with scientists, engineers and staff, during an artistic residency of one month at CERN, the European Laboratory for Particle Physics in Geneva (Switzerland). Accelerate Finland is specially designed for an artist or an artistic collective interested in physics and art. It is intended to stimulate the development of an imaginative project by the artist, inspired by the high-level research into particle physics, engineering and IT technology undertaken at CERN.
- Applicants who are Finnish nationals or permanent residents in Finland.
- Both emerging and established artists.
- Fluency in English, which is one of CERN’s two official languages.
- Artists interested in engaging in artistic research at CERN, the European Laboratory for Particle Physics in Geneva.
Criteria of the call
The artist must submit a proposal for a project to develop an idea based on artistic research and interaction with the lab. A jury of experts will review all proposals received and select one. Its criteria will include:
- Originality and pertinence of the research project with respect to the science and engineering at CERN, as well as any other aspect involving interaction with the lab’s community.
- Engagement with key topics of contemporary science and its cultural relevance.
- Ambitious creative standards and innovation of forms and languages.
- Engagement with new approaches for dialogue between art and science.
- The feasibility of the project and its development within CERN’s environment overduring a period of one month.
Conditions of the residency at CERN
Accelerate Finland is a residency award that offers the following financial support:
- A research and production grant of 5,000 CHF.
- A limited budget to cover travel to Geneva and accommodation and subsistence costs for one month, which is managed by the CERN administration.
- In the case of a group application, the same resources, including accommodation and subsistence costs, will be shared by a maximum of three members. One member shall be named as the group’s representative.
-The exact dates of the residency are to be determined between the beneficiary and Arts at CERN. The residency is expected to take place during 2020.
Submission of Applications
Applications must be submitted using the online form above (Apply here at the bottom of the page)